All applications should be sent by email to Alice Herbert. A complete application should include the following:
1. The application form: this should be signed by the applicant’s current Headteacher. If not signed, we would ask for an email acknowledgment from the Headteacher to be forwarded to us, confirming his/her awareness of the application. It is our usual practice to request a reference and school reports from the applicant’s current school, and it is in everyone’s interests if that request does not come as a surprise!
2. Copies of any relevant exam certificates, festival awards etc..
3. References from instrumental tutors, which should provide background information about the suitability of the application as well as the applicant’s attitude to, and aptitude for, learning and practice.
4. YouTube links to video recordings of at least 2 pieces on the applicant’s principal study instrument and at least one piece on any other instrument/s if applicable *, as well as scales/arpeggios on the principal study that reflect the level of repertoire presented. We would also ask the applicants to begin the video/s with a short, spoken introduction of themselves and the pieces they are going to present.
If you are applying to study composition, your application should include at least two written examples of your work. These may be handwritten or produced with Sibelius or similar programmes, but must be submitted as pdf files.
*NB. a second study instrument is NOT a requirement for entry, particularly for pianists. When the principal instrumental study is not piano, and no second study instrument is offered on application, we would normally include piano lessons as a second study when we offer a place, as keyboard skills are essential to building a strong foundation for our students’ musical development.
5. Payment. We are all too aware of the difficulties that many people are facing during the pandemic and so we have reduced the registration fee to £60 (usually £90) for the time being. If the reduced fee is still a barrier to your being able to complete your application, please let us know as soon as possible and we will do our best to help.